5 Yoga Poses That Will Open Your Heart
Love is in the air, and now is the time to let your heart shine. Yes, flowers and candy are a lovely thought for adults this season, but it is also a good time to open your heart and show acceptance and compassion for others.
These heart-opening exercises are especially beneficial for kids and adults who spend the majority of their day slouched in desks at school and work or with their heads bent over screens and books. These exercises take only minutes and will help improve posture and release back and neck tension as well as create openness in your body and mind.
1. Cat to Cow Pose: Begin on your hands and knees. Next round your back and tuck your chin into your chest as if you are a cat. Then look up, arch your back and open your chest into Cow Pose. This is a great way to strengthen your spine and begin to feel your heart opening.
2. Updog Pose: Lie on your tummy. Place the palms of your hands next to your shoulders and look up. Slowly straighten your arms and open your chest. It is okay to keep arms bent as well.
3. Bridge or Wheel Pose: Kids love trying to get into Wheel Pose, but this huge heart opener is not easily accessible for all. For an easier but still effective heart opener, try Bridge Pose. Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Rest your arms alongside your body, tuck your chin into your chest, and lift your back to create a bridge.
4. Camel Pose: Take this pose slowly and feel your heart open. Get on your knees, lean back slowly, and place your hands on your lower back or ankles. Tilt your head back, open your chest, and breathe.
5. Bow Pose: Lie on your tummy, bend your knees, and lift your chest. Reach your arms back toward your toes and hold onto your feet. Let your heart shine!
Show the little ones you care about and give your own body some love by trying these 5 kid-friendly heart opening yoga exercises. These poses will help you open your own heart and mind, and by practicing them with kids you will also help them let their heart shine!
If you are like me, you like to use lots of visuals to help show the children what yoga poses look like. The Kids Yoga Challenge Pose Cards are our favorites! These yoga pose cards include 40 yoga poses and different affirmations for each pose. The kids yoga deck also includes a 15 Bonus Yoga Games to play with the cards. They come in a fun drawstring burlap bag.
Find the complete Share the Love kids yoga lesson plan, in our popular Go Go Yoga for Kids: Yoga Lessons for Children book.
You May Also Like:
The Power of Partner Yoga Poses for Kids