Let’s celebrate Spring and our Earth with our fun Family Spring Yoga Sequence. This is a sequence of Spring yoga poses that will help get us ready for Spring and all of the changes happening outside!
For a full list of Spring yoga poses and sequences
How to Teach our Spring Sequence to Kids:
What is happening outside right now? The grass is getting green. Trees and flowers are growing and sprouting their leaves. Baby birds are hatching and animals are coming out of hibernation. There are many plants and animals that are changing by the day at this time of year! It is very, very exciting with all of the things that are happening with our Earth during Spring.
Today we are going to combine all those exciting things that are happening with our Earth, Earth Day and the season of Spring! We are going to combine them into a fun Kids Yoga Sequence.
Lesson Plan Tips:
- This Spring Yoga Sequence can be done with kids of any age. You can also practice this yoga sequence by yourself. It just feels good in your body for sure and a fun way to celebrate Earth.
- You do not need any materials or resources just a place to move your body! I will be using our Kids Yoga Challenge Pose Cards that have yoga pose visuals for the poses we will be practicing. It is always good to have visuals when practicing yoga with kids.
First, we need to warm up our bodies. One of my favorite ways to do this is through Sun Salutations with a Sunrise and Sunset. We are going to first move into Mountain Pose.
- Stand up, nice and tall and look between your hands and feel the strength in your arms and legs This will be our Sunrise. Go ahead, breathe in and dive forward into the Sunset. It’s almost like you’re diving into your swimming pool like it’s almost Summertime.
2. Now breathe in and bring your arms up high and relax your shoulders. Breathe out as you dive forward over your legs. Do this a few times warm up your entire body.
Seed to Flower Yoga Sequence
For our first yoga sequence, we are going to pretend to be a seed in the ground.
- Go into Child’s Pose and make a small seed shape with your body.
- Now, very slowly I want you to go ahead and grow into something that you can find outside. It could be a flower, could be a tree, or a plant.
- Feel the warm sun on your back as you slowly starting to grow and sprout. Are you a flower? A tree? A plant?
Caterpillar to Butterfly Spring Yoga Sequence
Now we are going to go through a huge metamorphosis. Do you know what animal does that? It is a caterpillar turning into a butterfly! So let’s go into Caterpillar Pose.
- Go on your bellies and into cobra position. Put your head down so you’re spine is straight.
- Now you’re just going to raise up like you’re a caterpillar munching the leaves. We know that the caterpillar needs to eat a lot because pretty soon he’s going to make a cocoon.
- Step back into Plank Pose because this is going to be our strong cocoon that is hanging on the branch. Caterpillar, cocoon and then you will become a Butterfly!
- Jump up through your legs and come into Butterfly Pose. Let’s see our butterflies flap your wings. Oh butterflies can you fly, faster and faster!
Tadpole to Frog: Spring Yoga Sequence
Our last Spring Yoga Sequence Metamorphosis is Tadpole to Frog Pose. A frog starts his life in egg.
- Go ahead and find Child’s Pose. This is a very good restorative pose that you can come into at any time. Now we are tadpoles in our eggs.
- Let’s go ahead and come forward into a swimming position on your bellies with your arms outstretched. This is just like tadpole swimming in the water. This is good for working your lower back.
- Then the tadpole finally becomes the frog. Move into Malansa Pose. Let’s do our best Frog hops!
These are some fun yoga sequences that you can do with kids and as a family! Ready for more Kids Yoga Game & Activities?
You May Also Enjoy:
Live Family Kids Yoga Easter Class
Our Favorite Family App for Reading (free!)