The power of reading aloud to your children has no bounds with the positive effects.
The Go Go Yoga for Kids: A Complete Guide to Yoga with Kids resource includes an extensive quality yoga read-aloud list and lesson ideas to use with these books.
How to Teach Yoga to Kids With Picture Books:
Benefits of Reading Aloud to Children:
- Children who are read aloud to get a head start in language and literacy.
- It increases their vocabulary and opportunity for comprehension practice.
- Combine that with yoga and you have children moving and stretching their bodies
- Increasing their focus and balance while having fun!
- When kids are moving it helps enhance their understanding and retention of what they have learned.
- Kinesthetic learning and it is perfect to use with those busy wiggly kids that need to move their bodies during or after those long school days of sitting.
Let the book come alive by reading with enthusiasm and emotion! I have found the illustrations help children visualize or pretend to become that animal or feel as if they are in the story. When you add movement, the kids will remember the poses and the story even more as they anticipate what comes next.
Two Favorite Yoga Read Aloud Books (and Free Kids Yoga Lesson)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle: Begin as Caterpillar and end as a beautiful butterfly: Kids can transition through the different stages of becoming a butterfly through yoga poses. See how with Go Go Yoga Kids FREE Springtime Transformation lesson here.
Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See by Bill Martin Junior and Eric Carle.
I love the bright vivid animal illustrations and how this book ties in perfectly to kids yoga. Read this book aloud and enjoy this preschool and Kindergarten movement and yoga lesson plan. It is perfect for home or school.
Find your copy of the Brown Bear Brown Bear Kids Yoga lesson plan here.
See more favorite read aloud books here. These are also perfect for practicing yoga poses!