Maybe the word “sneaky” sounds too conniving and calculated, but after an energetic and fun-filled kids yoga class or a busy day out and about, there is nothing better than settling children into a state of relaxation or savasana. Anyone who has ever worked with or been around kids for approximately 30 seconds, knows that quieting kids is not always an easy task to do. These tips work great with kids at home or in a kids yoga class!
Read on for some simple tips that can make that important last bit of a kids yoga class all the more refreshing and relaxing. This is the perfect time that children can reap the benefits of their yoga class after working and moving their bodies in such a good and healthy way.
- Turn the lights down low if possible.
- Play slow and calming music.
- Have children begin to lie on their backs as slowly as possible while counting down from 10.
- Have them bring their knees to their chest give themselves a big hug. They love this!
- Allow the kids to lay however they feel most comfortable; on their back, stomach or curled into a ball.
- Use phrases like, “be as still as a statue, ” or “quiet as a mouse” to help give kids a mental picture of how to pose and act.
- Depending on the situation, lightly rub the children’s’ backs. It is amazing the calm it brings and how much they respond to this little touch.
Call it a success, if you get stillness for even 10 seconds from your class or child at first! Savasana is something to build on with kids. Over time the duration will lenghten. It really does become a favorite part of class or nightly routine at home as they get to lie there and “do nothing.” The act of being totally present brings about so many benefits for kids.
Get The Best Yoga Poses for Kids
Get kids fit, flexible, and focused with our Best Yoga Poses for Kids Guide.