There are several ways to practice breath and being mindful with your kids, but the main goal is to make children aware of how they are feeling while slowing down their bodies and noticing their calming breath. Does their breath become short, shallow and fast when they are getting worked up or nervous about something?
The following is a simple sequence that allows children to practice becoming aware of their breath and it helps them focus and calm their nerves before a test, presentation, game, recital or anything that they are feeling anxiety or stress over.
How to do Calming Breath (and Teach Your Kids)
- Find a seated position comfortably with your hands resting open on your lap.
- Sit up tall, close your eyes.
- Breathe in for a count of five and out for a count of three through your nose.
- Repeat for five to seven rounds.
- Open your eyes and see how you feel. More peaceful and ready to take on the world?!
Help your kids practice this simple calming breath technique and it will become a tool that they will always have with them to use and find success with.