We know that schools should be focused on encompassing and enriching the whole child. The good news is that yoga incorporates all of those characteristics! Why not give students the tools they will use through life by incorporating some school yoga into their school day?
As a teacher, I know how full the school day already is with many benchmarks and curriculum guidelines to meet. The last thing most kids need in a competitive school curriculum is another highly structured class. Yoga is not like that. It brings fun, focus, and mindfulness into the classroom and is something all students can participate in and be successful with.
Why Yoga In Schools is Cool
- Encourages community and teamwork within the classroom
- Helps to create a classroom atmosphere of confidence, enthusiasm, and non-competitiveness
- Provides opportunities for beneficial large motor breaks throughout the day
- Eases anxiety and tension (perfect for pre-test jitters)
- Enhances focus, concentration, comprehension, and memory
- Creates a calm classroom
See more on using yoga in schools with Go Go Yoga for Kids: A Complete Guide to Yoga with Kids and Go Go Yoga for Kids: Yoga Lessons for Children now available at Amazon.